How about a cake that is totally paleo and tastes amazing? Sounds too good to be true? Well, it’s not wahoo!
When we moved to a paleo diet about 10 weeks ago, baking was one thing I wanted to sort out. I didn’t want my children to miss out when there were birthday parties, family gatherings and celebrations. We were going to be strange enough with moving to Paleo and I just wanted something to be “normal” for them. While this is about healing their guts, my children did not choose this journey. Maybe this will matter less to me later on but for now I am after amazing baking recipes that my kids and their friends just love. Celebration to me means a chocolate cake that is very chocolately, moist and all round delicious and so I was on the hunt.
I honestly feel like I have struck gold with this recipe. I make it every single week and the kids hoover it up. It is so yum. PLUS it’s incredibly easy to make AND it has pumpkin as a base. It is the winner of all chocolate cake winners! It’s not my recipe, as none of the recipes I post are, and all credit goes to www.84thand3rd.com and this is their “Best Ever Gluten Free Chocolate Cake” recipe.
- 2 cups of finely grated raw pumpkin (260g)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup of syrup (like maple syrup or coconut syrup)
- 1/2 cup of oil (I use coconut)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp himalayan salt (I tend to reduce this amount as it get a little salty)
- 3/4 cup raw cacao
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) Grease a 20cm square baking tin.
- Whisk grated pumpkin, eggs, syrup, oil and vanilla with a fork in a bowl. Sift dry ingredients over the bowl and mix well.
- Pour into the baking tin and smooth top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool in tin and turn out onto a rack until cold.
- Store in the fridge, it will last about a week (it won't last that long though!)
The kids love this cake so much and got in on the photo action! There is a Vegan Chocolate Buttercream icing found on www.84thand3rd.com. I haven’t tried it as I am not sure this recipe needs icing. It’s so good on it’s own.