Peppermint essential oil is a universally loved essential oil. And for good reason! It is one of the most multi-use and flexible oils. It can use used in a host of ways and has many different ways that it can support our physical and emotional states…
Peppermint has constituents of menthol, menthone, a- & b- pinenes and menthyl acetate. What qualities would this bring to the oil? It means that this essential oil has anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antispasmodic, warming, invigorating, cooling, expectorant, vasoconstrictor and stimulating properties. And in plain English? This all means that Peppermint is a burst of energy and is a stimulator of our senses.
Here are 10 ways that you can use Peppermint oil:
- Energy burst– Peppermint oil is stimulating and gives you a natural pop of energy. Use a drop of Lemon essential oil and a drop of Peppermint essential oil in the palms of your hands, rub together and inhale. This will clear your head, help you focus and wake you up. This combination is a wonderful jet lag remedy!
- Headaches– Peppermint oil has the ability to improve circulation and relax tense muscles. These conditions can cause tension headaches making this oil an excellent natural solution. Rub diluted Peppermint oil on the back of the neck and dab on the temples.
- Allergies– Peppermint oil is part of the allergy trio of essential oils, the others are Lemon and Lavender. Peppermint oil is highly effective at relaxing muscles in your nasal passages and can help clear out irritants. Diffuse Peppermint, Lemon and Lavender and take 1 drop of each in a veggie capsule with a full glass of water, 3x a day during an allergic reaction.
- Digestion– Peppermint oil can help to reduce spasms of the colon. It works by relaxing the muscles of your intestines, which can also reduce bloating and gas. Rub diluted Peppermint (2 drops to a teaspoon of carrier oil) on the abdomen. Take 2 drops in a veggie capsule to assist the digestive system.
- Fevers– Peppermint oil is cooling and is an excellent and effective natural treatment to bring down a fever especially in children. Use diluted Peppermint oil on the back of the neck and under the soles of the feet to reduce a fever.
- Muscles aches and pains-Peppermint essential oil is a very effective natural painkiller and muscle relaxant. It is especially helpful in soothing an aching back, sore muscles, and melting away a tension headache. Dilute Peppermint oil and use before and after exercise. I love Ice Blue/ Deep Blue rub which has Peppermint oil in it. I exercise first thing in the morning and my sleepy muscles need a bit of help to unwind and get into the groove!
- Sunburn-Peppermint oil can hydrate and cool sunburned skin and relieve the pain & redness from sunburns. Make a spray of diluted Peppermint oil and carrier oil and spray onto the sun burned areas.
- Bad breath– Peppermint is incredible for freshening breath and I use dōTERRA’s Peppermint beadlets instead of chewing gum.
- Baking– Peppermint is a a wonderful addition to baking! Try making raw Chocolate Peppermint Bliss balls and add a few drops of essential oil to our raw Best Ever Paleo Chocolate Mousse, it’s delicious!
- Emotional support– Peppermint is the Oil of the Buoyant Heart. It brings joy and buoyancy to the heart and soul. It invigorates mind, body and spirit. The power of Peppermint oil can be felt most in times of discouragement, it’s a happy uplifting oil.
These are 10 common uses of Peppermint oil, there are many more! This cheerful and stimulating oil is a “must have” for your natural medicine cabinet. Peppermint essential oil is one of the first oils I recommend people joining our tribe start out with.
If you want to get your hands on your own oils and join Oiltribe go here. Click on “Join & Save” and select the “Wellness Advocate” option. We’d love to have you in the tribe. You will be well supported through our community and have access to learning & resources.