Lemon essential oil is probably the most used essential oil of all, and for good reason! This humble citrus oil is one of the MOST versatile and can be used in a myriad of ways. We use Lemon essential oil every single day and go through bottles of it. Luckily it’s one of the cheapest oils due to how easy the oil is to get out of the fruit and how readily available Lemon is.
Here are some interesting facts about Lemon essential oil:
- It takes 45 Lemons to get a 15ml bottle of essential oil
- Lemon oil is taken from the rind of the fruit.
- The lemons are cold-pressed and not distilled to get the essential oil. The fruit is so juicy that there is no need to do anything other than squeeze it!
- dōTERRA sources essential oils from the place in the world that the plant grows best, for Lemons this is Cyprus. So we have lemon oil from one of the smallest countries in the European Union, which as you can imagine from the amount of Lemon oil we use, is benefitting the local economy (win!)
Lemon has constituents of d-limonene, alpha pinenes and beta pinenes. What qualities would this bring to the oil? It means that the essential oil has antiseptic, duiretic, antioxident, antibacterial, detoxification, disinfectant, mucolytic, atringent and degreasing properties. That means this essential oil is a jack of all trades and is uplifting, invigorating and refreshing.
Here are 10 ways that you can use Lemon oil:
- Detoxing– lemon oil can gently help to detox the kidneys and liver. Put a drop of oil into a full glass of tepid water and drink first thing in the morning.
- Allergies– Lemon oil is part of the allergy trio of essential oils, the others are Lavender and peppermint. Lemon oil helps with congestion and mucus. Diffuse Peppermint, Lemon and Lavender and take 1 drop of each in a veggie capsule with a full glass of water, 3x a day during an allergic reaction.
- Runny nose– Rub a drop of Lemon oil over the bridge of the nose to relieve a runny nose. This works really well on kiddies too!
- Water retention– Massage diluted Lemon oil into the lower legs and feet and take a capsule with 2x drops of oil with a full glass of water.
- Jet lag- Lemon oil pairs well with Peppermint oil to give you a burst of energy and help you focus when jet lagged or very tired. Use a drop of both in the palms of your hands, rub together and inhale. This will clear your head, help you focus and wake you up.
- Balance your PH levels: This is such a goodie as an alkaline body is a healthy body!Put a drop of oil into a full glass of tepid water and drink first thing in the morning.
- Baking– Lemon is one of the best flavours in baking! Try making Paleo Lemon & Raspberry Cake or Paleo Lemon biscuits.
- Concentration– Diffuse 2x drops of Lemon oil and 2x drops of Rosemary essential oil to help with focus and concentration.
- Heartburn & reflux– Take a drop of Lemon essential oil with a drop of Ginger essential oil in a capsule with a full glass of water.
- Household Cleaner– Lemon is a natural degreaser so add to a simple water based counter top spray along with On Guard essential oil blend to make a cleaner that will cut through grease AND be naturally anti-bacterial.
These are only 10 uses of Lemon, I could have listed at least 10 more! Lemon essential oil is a “must have” in your natural medicine cabinet. Not to mention how amazing it is to cook with! Try adding Lemon oil to a bottle of olive oil and use in a salad dressing, it’s so yum! I could go on and on but seriously, you NEED this essential oil in your life. It’s incredible.
If you want to get your hands on your own oils and join Oiltribe go here. Click on “Join & Save” and select the “Wellness Advocate” option. We’d love to have you in the tribe. You will be well supported through our community and have access to learning & resources.